Loading...
Please note that this is not the official website of Fontainebleau castle !




chateaudefontainebleau.net





Chapel of the Trinity



plafond de la chapelle

General sight of the chapel


Charlemagne The Trinity Saint Louis

The statue of Charlemagne, represented under the features of Henri IV

With the top of the altar, La Trinité, by Jean Dubois.

The statue of Saint Louis, represented under the features of Louis XIII

The ceiling of the chapel, by Martin 
Fréminet

The origin of this vault goes up with the foundation of a convent of Trinitaires( "Pères Rédempteurs de l'ordre de la Sainte Trinité ") in this same place by Saint Louis. Incorporated thereafter in the royal field, this chapel had been completely rebuilded, during the begining of the Rennaissance. As much of chapels of palace, that one is organized in two levels, with a platform, where the King and the Queen were generally held (except with the great feast, where they were in the bottom), and of the balconies (decorated for the princesses, simpler for the musicians).

The major part of this astonishing decoration dates back from Henri IV and Louis XIII. One is in particularly surprised by the pictorial audacity of the ceiling, illustrating the Redemption of the Man through paintings very sharp, "with a tormented composition" (Appearance of God with Noah, above the platform, Annunciation, above the chorus, and in the center the Christ of the Last Judgement, surrounded by kings de Juda, of the prophets and the virtues). The painting of the altar (1642) was painted by Jean Dubois, and represents the Holy Trinity at the time of the Deposition.


Preceding room Next room

The large apartments